DIY Valentine’s Day Affirmation Countdown
January 29, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you click on it and purchase the product, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
This DIY Valentine’s Day Affirmation Countdown is such a fun way to incorporate a little extra positivity and love into your daily routine leading up to Valentine’s Day. We have been doing this tradition for several years now and it always brings big smiles to my kids’ faces! Here is how to make them:
- 5/8″ wooden dowel cut to desired size (we cut ours to 2 feet in length)
- Chunky yarn in color of choice
- Hot glue gun
- Wood heart tags (these are the ones I used)
- Twine or yarn pieces cut to desired length
- Paint colours of choice (optional – you can also leave them natural)
- Construction paper, color of choice (I used white)
- Something to hold the paper affirmations (this can be a glass mason jar, container, small box, envelope, etc.)
- If you are painting your wood heart tags, complete this step first. Let dry completely.
- Create an inverted V shape with a piece of yarn to function as a hanger for your countdown. Hot glue both ends to the dowel, equivalent distance from the ends.
- Tie twine pieces around the dowel at even intervals, leaving a long string hanging. These will be used to attach your heart tags so space as desired. I tied three strings onto my dowel and attached my hearts in a 5-4-5 pattern.
- Wrap dowel in yarn, taking care to not get tangled in twine strands. Hot glue both ends to dowel on the backside of your countdown.
- Attach wood heart tags to hanging twine strands, taking care to space evenly. Trim ends.
- Cut 14 hearts out of construction paper. For shape consistency, I traced one of my wood heart tags, then cut it out at a reduced size.
- Write affirmations on construction paper hearts (see examples below). Place all affirmations in a glass mason jar, container, small box, envelope, etc.
- Have your child take out one affirmation each day, read it and tape it up to the heart of their choice! Enjoy the smiles you get as they read each one!
Here are some example affirmations you can write for your children:
- You are special.
- You are such a great big/little brother/sister.
- You are a hard worker.
- You give amazing hugs.
- You are a strong leader.
- You are a problem solver.
- I’m so proud to be your mama.
- You are so creative.
- You make me smile.
- You are loving.
- You are so clever.
- There is no one else like you.
- You are incredibly thoughtful.
- You are so unique.
- You make me laugh.
- You are so independent.
- You are an amazing friend.
- You have a beautiful soul.
- You are strong.
- You are brave.
- You are very kind.
- You are so generous.
- You are a great leader.
- You are an excellent thinker.
- Your love fills others up.
- You have a compassionate heart.
- You inspire me.
- You are full of love.
- You have a contagious laugh.
- You radiate joy.
- You make the world a brighter place.
- You make my heart happy.
- You have a beautiful smile.
If you end up making a DIY Valentine’s Day Affirmation Countdown, I would love to hear from you! Please drop a note below about how it goes over with your kid(s)!